Cowley County History Meeting
1:30 PM, Sunday, May 7, 2000
Winfield Public Library
605 College Ave., Winfield, Kansas
This is the fourth meeting of this type. The previous meetings were very
productive and allowed many of us to meet for the first time. Several people
have ongoing project and will be able to report progress on their projects
and if they need reinforcements or other aid, hopefully we can respond.
This is an irregular group of those of us who are interested in the history
of the area. Several of the local organizations are represented. This group
is not an organization nor does it seek to be. Our goals are:
- Meet each other, those of us from out of town have been dealing with
people whom we have never physically met, only in the ether of the net.
- Discuss our individual projects and share knowledge about the resources
we have discovered.
- Results since last meeting are:
- Mel Brown picked up the old newspapers at the State Historical Society
and delivered them to the Cowley County Historical Museum.
- Bob Lawrence has instituted his web page on Auto Racing at the Cowley
Counry Fair Grounds.
- Joan Cales and Bob Hartung put together a display on Buildings That
- Carolyn Woods put together a "Murals of Winfield" brochure
for Winfield Convention & Tourism.
- Bruce Hedrick is scanning more pictures from the Museum.
- Bryan Pearce is putting together a plan to acquire computers and scanners
for the Museum
- Joan Cales is continuing in pursuit of a grant for the Library to include
a web server etc.
- Winfield Main Street committee is continuing to process grant applications
and give grants.
- Baden Hall committee is continuing the effort to save and utilize historic
- Howard Buffum has produced several more interesting columns in the
Courier on local historical mysteries.
- Roland Mueller has put together an event scheduled for Jan 27, 2001,
sponsored by Robert and Mary Hartley for a writers competition on papers
about Historical Winfield.
This is a list of people who have said they are coming to the meeting.
Anyone wishing to add their name and email to the list please contact Joan
Cales, keeper of the list. at the Winfield Public Library. email Joan at
email@example.com Or you can
contact me, firstname.lastname@example.org or
leave a message at Jim Davis' house at 316-221-3249.
- Click on Name to mail: Click on Topic of Interest to go to Web Site
- Jack & Dorthy Banks (Winfield,
KS) History of Music/Band, Genealogy
- Bill Bottorff (Austin, TX)
History of Winfield/Cowley County/Area
- Mel Brown (Topeka, KS) Family
History, Winfield History, Life and Death of Edison Ogrosky
- Joan Cales (Winfield, KS)
Winfield Public Library
- Robert (Bob) Davis (in absentia)
of Camon Band
- Jim & Pat Davis (Winfield, KS)
- Bruce Hedrick (Ark City, KS) Bank
History, Bank Notes, Old City Photos
- Bryan Pearce (Winfield, KS)Re-enactments
of Historical Events
- Mike & Sheilah Smith (&
Mike's Mom Leoti M. Smith, all from Smilyville, KS) RedMan
- Indian History
- Mary Ann Wortman & son Kevin,
(Ark City, KS) Transcription of old newspapers, History of Cowley County
& Rogena Rhodes (Ark City, KS) Historical photography and old postcards.
1880 & 1888 City Directories, Winfield.
& Delia Wallace (Oxford, KS) Southwestern College Archivist, History
of Southwestern College before 1952.
- Nancy (Moss)
Biddle, (Akron, CO) Histoy of Tisdale area.
and Wanda Vann (Winfield, KS) General history and geneology.
- Glenda (Moss) Linnabary, (Winfield, KS) History of Tisdale area.
- Scott Higginbottom (Wichita, KS) Political history and old stone bridges.
- Margaret Vanderlip (Wichita, KS) Granddaughter of C. M. Scott, first
editor of Arkansas City Traveller.
- Frankie Cullison (Winfield, KS) Cowley County Historical Museum.
- Ron McIntire (Lake Tapawingo, MO) Family history.
- Debra (Bryant) Teufel, (Arkansas City, KS)
- Sally D. Wilcox, (Windield, KS)
- Marilyn Johnson, (Winfield, KS)
- Verna Davis, (Arkansas City, KS)
- Lola Bernard, (Arkansas City, KS)
- Ken & Shirley (Marsh) Everhart (Wellington, KS)
- Pat & Bess Harder, (Arkansas City, KS)
- Janell Hutchinson, (Arkansas City, KS) Women, Outlaws, Fiction
The following will be missing-in-action at this meeting
- J. J. Banks
- Bryan Pearce
- Rex Flottman
- Bob Lawrence
This is an OPEN meeting, We are especially interested
in making contact with people who:
We know there more of us out there! If you know anyone who need to come,
Invite Them! Help them Make Themseves Known! Make Yourself Known! Gain some
Hope you can attend.
Austin Business Computers, Inc.
512-328-4747 Austin, TX.
Bill Bottorff's Home Page