Technology in Cowley County, 1879 to 1887




PHONOGRAPH. Our citizens were treated on Wednesday evening to an exhibition of the Phonograph in the hands of Gray Thorne. We are glad to commend to the people anything which we feel is fully worth the money, and we must say the lecture and explanation were worth that, but the performance seems more like an Arabian night's tale than an actual fact, and a late invention. Think of it: a piece of tin foil repeating back in the exact tones of the speaker with every variation, repeating music, even to the discordant notes, laughing, crying, even going so far as to carry together two voices, soprano and bass, and that you could hear both distinctly, and then think again these words might be bottled up a thousand years and then come up as fresh as when they were spoken last evening.




Why doesn't someone burn a kiln of brick? Our town is starting to boom, and there is not a brick on the market. This would be a good investment for some man of small capital and a little energy. Brick we must have, and if there is not got up here, at present, to manufacture the article, others will come and reap the advantage. There is money in this, and immediate steps should be taken to supply the demands of those who will require brick to build.





Don't fail to call on Schiffbauer Bros. for the famous Sucker State Drill, 10 percent cheaper than you can get them in the State.


All this way to Schiffbauer Bros. for one of the St. John Sewing Machines. These machines have gained such a reputation that we cannot supply the demand. Come at once if you wish to be served at the POST OFFICE.


Sulky Plow, nearly new, for sale, cash or plowing. Call at the Post Office.



TRAVELER, JULY 16, 1879.

O. P. hung out a stunning sign Monday morning, the work of George Allen and partner.

T. A. Wilkinson, the organ man of Winfield, was in town Friday. Tom is doing a good business, and we are glad of it.



Will Mowry received another new Packard organ last Thursday. He is working up a good trade with these instruments in this county, and parties wishing anything in this line could not do better than by calling on him.




The telegraph line has been finished to Winfield, and the office will be opened for business immediately.


Winfield Courier, March 25, 1880.

The handsome new engine now running the machinery at the foundry is one of their own construction. They purchased the boiler some time ago for a small amount, and built the engine themselves. It runs like clock-work, and is a beauty.


Winfield Courier, June 24, 1880.

A bicyclist was on the streets Tuesday with one of his machines. He is making an effort to introduce them here. The exhorbitant price charged is the only thing that deterred several of the boys from purchasing.



JULY 15, 1880.

The water works question is beginning to agitate our people. The city officers are surveying, viewing, and trying to decide on the best plans to pursue. $100 has been appropriated by the council to be used in testing the water supply. The proposition offered by Mr. Perkins contemplating a reservoir on the central mound east of town, the water to be pumped into it from a well on Dutch creek, seems to be the most available one.



OCTOBER 14, 1880.

Mr. Levi [Levy?] now illuminates his clothing store with gas.


OCTOBER 14, 1880.

In Winfield they have wagons provided with tanks labeled "Water for sale." Poor Winfield. Dry weather did it for her.

Kingman Blade.

Winfield has 500 wells, each about twenty-five feet deep, and furnishing an abundant and constant supply of pure cold water. These tanks are used as street sprinklers and get their supplies of water from these wells. They are labeled all over with business advertisements of almost everything for sale except water. Winfield and vicinity are not worried by dry weather.





Mr. J. G. Titus, whom many of our citizens will remember as one of the pioneers of Grouse creek, but now in Colorado, has developed into an inventor. Read from the Scientific American.

"Mr. Jacob G. Titus, of Silver Cliff, Colorado, has patented an improvement to that class of journal bearings in which friction is relieved by use of balls or rollers interposed between the journal and its box or casing. The improvement consists in the construction of an axle journal box which adapts it to receive anti-friction balls, and also in the provision of elastic and anti-friction end bearings for receiving the end movement or thrust of the axle journal."




Notwithstanding the western drouth Winfield is "booming," and in spite of the adverse seasons, they have public spirited men who have confidence enough in the future to build solid stone and brick blocks which would do credit to older and larger cities. S. L. Brettun is building a magnificent hotel of magnesia lime-stone, 56 x 120 feet, four stories high, with every modern improvement, including steam, hot and cold water in rooms, passenger elevator, etc., to be completed this winter at a cost of $25,000.



Winfield Courier, November 25, 1880.

While in Winfield last Friday evening, we enjoyed the hospitality and friendship of Messrs. Lynn & Loose, at their elegant and spacious store room for a half hour very pleasantly.

The firm of Lynn & Loose is perhaps one of the oldest in Cowley county: at least the senior member has been engaged in active business at Winfield for the past eight years. A country or town is judged by the inhabitants. The city of Winfield, the most beautiful town in all Kansas, or we may say the west, has a warm place in the affections of all who visit and view her beautiful streets, fine buildings, and become acquainted with her live enterprising people. Men build towns, and LIVE men build good substantial towns. J. B. Lynn, the mayor of the city, is one of the class that believe in enterprise, progress, advancement, and improvement. He is a man of high character, honor, and integrity, and the magnificent building which he has recently erected in Winfield, at a cost of many thousand dollars, will stand as a monument to his energy, enterprise, and progress of spirit. It is a credit not only to Winfield but to Cowley county.

No town in Kansas can present such a fine store room, as well arranged for a general merchandising house as that of Lynn & Loose. It is 25 x 140 feet, two stories with a basement underneath: full length. One hundred and ten feet in front is the dry goods department, and a better displayed stock of goods cannot be found in the State. Thirty feet in the rear is cut off for the grocery department, where everything is kept in a clean and neat manner.

The cellar is filled with heavy articles, such as sugars, coffees, queensware, crockery, salt, provisions, etc. The first one hundred feet in the front, on the second floor, is divided into seven suits of rooms, suitable for law offices. In the rear is a large carpet and clothing room, filled to its fullest capacity. In front of the basement is a fine room which is to be used by a tonsorial artist. A large elevator is erected in the rear of the building, so that heavy goods can be raised from the cellar or lowered from the second story. Altogether, this store is better arranged than any one in Southern Kansas. It is lighted by gas. From what we observed in looking through this fine business room, we judge it contains about $40,000 worth of merchandise. All credit is due to these enterprising men for their energy and push, and the people of Cowley County may well be proud of such substantial men. They are men of worth to any community and are just such as build cities like Winfield. Their fine stone store room would do credit to our large cities. We thank Mr. Lynn for his kindness in showing us through his building.

Burden New Enterprise.



DECEMBER 2, 1880.

The K. C., L. & S. are about putting up a wind machine to pump water for their tank at this place.



DECEMBER 23, 1880.

The intelligent businessmen of our city appreciate the need of water works, but the difficulty is to find out in what manner to supply the want. Scarcely a businessman in town but what is paying a big tax in the increased cost that he is obliged to pay for insurance. Water-works with Winfield is an absolute necessity, and it would be a wretched economy that would delay their building until the fairest portion of our city is laid in ashes.


Winfield Courier, January 27, 1881.

The Brettun House will contain about 1,500 feet of gas pipe, 1,250 feet of water pipe, and including that in the radiators, 3,600 feet of steam pipe. This only includes that which is actually in the building, and excludes the earthenware sewer. Almost a mile and a fifth of pipe in one building is not so bad for Winfield. Telegram.


Winfield Courier, February 24, 1881.

Doctor Graham is still improving his beautiful home. This time it is to be a pump driven by a wind mill. The reservoir is to supply his house and stable, and to feed a couple of fountains in his yard. Who will follow this worthy example.




Our young friend, A. W. Berkey, of the Winfield Bank, was in town Saturday last, shaking hands with his many friends.

Hunnewell is still clamoring for a newspaper.

We notice the work on the city water-works is being pushed toward completion. The tank is almost finished, and the windmill as well as pipes, hydrants, etc., are on hand, and at present affairs look well for the same to be in good working order by the first of the month.



122,692 telephones are now in use of the Bell pattern.




Several of Conklin's subscribers are talking of circulating a petition asking him to refund their money or give them something to read.

Mr. H. G. Shivers, of Quincy, Illinois, has accepted a position with Jarvis, Conklin & Co. Mr. Owens leaves to take charge of their Kansas City branch.

Jarvis, Conklin & Co. have purchased a typewriter, the first one for Winfield. It is a handy little machine, and one can write with it much faster than by hand.

Robert Hudson is putting in an addition to his bath house, and will soon have two more tubs in running order. With his new improvements, he will be able to give as good a "Turkey" bath as you can get in Chicago.



Dr. Minthorn, of Ponca Agency, and Dr. Woodward, of Red Rock Agency, assisted by Mr. Satterthwait, clerk at Ponca Agency, and Peter Primeaux and Hairy Bear, a Ponca chief, successfully removed a tumor from the face of White Eagle, head chief of the Poncas, last week. Also, Dr. Minthorn, assisted by Jas. Reuben, interpreter and teacher at Oakland Agency, and Henry Rivers, a Nez Perce Indian, amputated an arm for a Nez Perce Indian last Saturday. Ether was given in both cases and both are doing well.



What haven't we in Cowley county? In our office is a specimen of zinc ore, from the quarry on Mr. Rathburne's farm near the head of Cedar creek, which, in time, will be developed and prove of great value. Lead has been discovered in the same region, and coal has been taken from the hillsides for the past six years. A vein of coal, one-fourth inch in thickness, has also been discovered on Mr. Spray's farm, three miles east of town, and another vein crops out near the "cut-off" on George Whitney's and C. M. Scott's lands. The new foundry men find that the very best of moulding sand can be dug up, by the wagon load, on the Arkansas river, and every enterprise that is started seems to find just what they want right here on our own soil.




Winfield has the telephone.



Wellington is to have a telephone system at once, as the contract is signed and the work is underway. As soon as the system is completed, Wichita, Winfield, and Wellington will be united.


Arkansas City Traveler, February 14, 1883.

There is a scheme being worked up here to connect Wellington and Caldwell by telephone. The wires to be run on the telegraph poles. The company will then sell tickets, each ticket entitling the holder to a conversation of a given length of time with any person at the other end. A messenger boy will be kept at each terminus to rustle around, hunt up, and run in parties called for. Single tickets will cost twenty-five cents. The company asks a guarantee of $750,000 worth of tickets. The scheme appears to be a good one and we would like to see it carried out, not only in connection with Caldwell, but also with all the adjoining towns. Press.



We understand from Mayor Colson that the necessary amount of subscriptions has been raised to secure a telephonic connection with Wellington, Hunnewell, and Geuda Springs. The line is in process of construction now, and work on it will be pushed to a speedy completion. It will be a great convenience to our businessmen, especially during the shipping season.



The Telephone.

The posts for the telephone wire made their appearance on our streets on Monday. On Tuesday, workmen, under the superintendence of Mr. Spicer, began digging the holes and placing the poles thereon; and by the time this issue reaches our city readers, all the posts will have been set and the work of stringing the wires commenced. It will be a week or ten days before the wires are stretched and the instruments placed among subscribers for use. All contracts, however, date from the first of August. This is a liberal concession on the part of the Telephone Co., and we are confident it will be fully appreciated by our people.

The central office will be located in the upper story of Dobson=s agricultural store, as we understand. As no one can possibly have any business at the central office, except to visit it out of idle curiosity, its location makes no difference to the general public, and can only interest the company and the person who may be placed in charge.

A special office will be established in Bent Johnson=s drug store, where all persons not having telephones can use the wires upon the payment of a fee to be established by the company. As that point is centrally located, it will be found very convenient to the general public.

Mr. Bassett, the general superintendent of the line, has appointed J. G. Denhollem as local agent. Mr. Denhollem is an experienced telegraph and telephone operator, and will do all in his power to make the telephone both a pleasure and a profit to the people of Caldwell.



Twenty-five telephones have been put up in Caldwell so far. We presume that when everything is in prime working order the Telephone Company will issue instructions, by the observance of which parties having instruments will be able to talk with anyone in this city, Wellington, Hunnewell, Arkansas City, or Geuda Springs.



Stockmen have found the telephone between this city and Hunnewell a great convenience. Some of them talk of having the line extended to their ranges in the Territory. It is certain that a line from this city to Ft. Reno would be found very useful, not only to stockmen, but to our own citizens and the folks at Reno and Cheyenne Agency. Whether a sufficient number of subscribers could be secured to induce the telephone company to build the line is another question.


Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, June 20, 1885.

An effort is being made in the towns south of us to arrange a telephone circuit embracing Winfield, Arkansas City, Geuda Springs, Wellington, Belle Plain, Argonia, Conway Springs, Wichita, Derby, Mulvane, and Udall. This is a good scheme, as it will enable the citizens of these neighboring towns to become more intimately acquainted with each other, and in time it may furnish the outlines for a city equal to London or Pekin. Wichita Republican.


Arkansas City Republican, June 20, 1885.

Bob Mitchell telephones the REPUBLICAN from Geuda Springs that they have a small flood over in that region. The water was four feet deep in his house and between the bath house and the business houses the water was over a man=s head. The wheat on several farms has been washed away and carried down the Arkansas. Up to the time of the REPUBLICAN going to press, the damage could not be estimated. No reports of persons drowning had come in. Mr. Mitchell thinks that they were visited by a water spout. All the creeks in that neighborhood resemble rivers.


Arkansas City Republican, July 25, 1885.


The Blackberry and Ice Cream social given by the Mite Society at Central Avenue Hotel last Friday evening was liberally patronized. About twelve dollars were the receipts.

R. E. Grubbs is buying all the peaches and plums he possibly can. He shipped 50 boxes of peaches Wednesday to the trading post of Finney, Schiffbauer & Co., at Kaw Agency.

We are informed that M. N. Sinnott will move his family back here in a few weeks, while he remains in Winfield to attend to his clerical duties. Sharp man is that Sinnott. He knows which is the best town for a post office.

The Courier started a boom for a Cowley County editorial excursion down the ARagin= Rackensack.@ The REPUBLICAN would like to make an amendment. Why not take in Sedgwick, Butler, Sumner, and Cowley? Have a boat load, you know.

Frank Austin is in receipt of two letters from Leavenworth officials stating that they have two fire engines for sale. From the description given, there is a great bargain in them. We will publish the letters in full next week. One of the engines can be had for $1,800, with hose cart and hose complete.




Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, August 22, 1885.

The Water Works.

A good representation was had of the businessmen at the water works meeting in Highland Opera House last Friday evening. Mayor Schiffbauer called the meeting to order at 8 p.m., and J. L. Huey was chosen chairman and N. T. Snyder, secretary. Mayor Schiffbauer stated that the meeting had been called to discuss the water works question; that Messrs. Plate and Quigley were here from St. Louis with a proposition which they wished to submit to the citizens of Arkansas City for putting in gas and water works. The proposittion was to the effect that they put them in for the franchise, the city agreeing to take 60 fire plugs, at a rental of $50 a year and also take 30 street lights at $30 each per annum. Speeches were made on the subject by Maj. Sleeth, J. G. Danks, A. D. Prescott, J. P. Johnson, O. P. Houghton, Maj. Searing, Mayor Schiffbauer, and others. The gist of their remarks was that we needed and must have water works; but at present we were unable to put in gas works. Messrs. Quigley and Plate did not want one without the other on this proposition so the matter was ended in regard to it. These gentlemen desire to put in a bid when we have water works put in. They propose what we think is a good system, and by their talk they showed that they were perfectly conversant with the water works question. They propose the stand-pipe system and explained it in detail to those present.

During the meeting a motion was made and carried that a committee be appointed from the citizens meeting and city council to investigate the different systems of water works of our neighboring cities and report which they thought was the best. J. G. Danks and Maj. Sleeth were selected to represent the citizens, and Monday night Councilmen Dean, Dunn, Thompson, and Mayor Schiffbauer were taken from the city council. On motion the meeting was adjourned to await the report of the committee.

The time has come for some action to be taken. The citizens of Arkansas City have expressed their desire for water works. The start has been made to get them. Let the ball be pushed forward rapidly. Protection from fire for our town we must have and right now is the accepted time to get it.


Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, August 22, 1885.

A representative of the REPUBLICAN visited Danks Bros. Machine Shop yesterday. We found all hand busy. Danks Bros. have just put in a new 12 horse-power engine and have their order in for a boiler. They have commenced work on the cupola for their foundry and if the rush of work does not get too heavy, they will soon have their foundry in a good condition to make all kinds of castings. They are doing a vast amount of repairing in the machine line. Farmers are ascertaining that these gentlemen are first-class mechanics and worthy of their patronage.


Arkansas City Republican, August 29, 1885.

A crazy tramp was lodged in the cooler Sunday night by Constable Girard, and sent on his way rejoicing the next morning. He had been lurking around the elevator for a couple of days, and is a crank of a peculiar stripe, reminding us of the lunatic in the AHoosier School Master,@ who imagined that one side of his head was composed of potato. This man imagined that one side of his head was in some way connected with a telephone, and that he could always hear when other people were talking about him. According to his own say-so, he has been shot by a telephone, and is now trying to escape from his telephonic enemies. He is continually talking to himself about telephones, and from what he told the marshal, it would seem that he sunk about $5,000 in the telephone business, which is the probable cause of his madness. He claims to have escaped from an asylum in Colorado; also from one in Iowa. The mayor knew nothing about the matter until the man was gone. Had he known it, he would have detained him until convinced that he was not wanted elsewhere.

Udall Sentinel.


Arkansas City Republican, August 29, 1885.

Elmer E. Peck, traveling solicitor for the United Telephone Company, who has been working up a telephone circuit embracing nearly all the Arkansas and Walnut Valley towns, informs us that arrangements for the circuit are now complete and the lines will be put in in a month. The necessary amount in tickets have been subscribed and the deposits were made today. Winfield took $350 in tickets, half what was asked. The circuit takes in Wichita, Mulvane, Belle Plaine, Wellington, Caldwell, Hunnewell, South Haven, Oxford, Winfield, Arkansas City, and Geuda Springs. Burden can also get in, too, by a litle exertion and money. Then the line will soon be extended to Douglass and El Dorado, and the whole valley will be bound by the electrical, hello! This circuit will be a big convenience and we hail its final with joy. Winfield Courier.


Arkansas City Republican, August 29, 1885.

That wonderful invention, the telephone, works many a laughable and sometimes dangerous trick. Last Thursday evening the irresistible ladies= man, R. U. Hess, desired to ask a young lady to accompany him to the social held at G. W. Cunningham=s residence that evening. Going to the telephone, he sounded the alarm, but by some hook or crook, he was connected with the wrong residence. Dick called AHello,@ and was answered by a sweet femine AHello@ that thrilled him to his toes. After going through the usual preliminary conversation, Dick came to the point and asked the lady for her company to the social. Her reply of AMy husband will go with me@ has caused Dick to go homicidal {?? COULD NOT REALLY READ THIS WORD] in a round-about way after that night ever since. He is opposed to telephone communication now, and says it is wrong on general principles.


Arkansas City Republican, August 29, 1885.


101. A. T. & S. F. Depot.

141. Ayers, V. M. & Co. Mill.

112. Arkansas City Bank.

138. Arkansas City Roller Mills.

117. Arkansas City Roller Mills Office.

139. Blakeney & Upps.

123. Cunningham, G. W. Office.

114. Cunningham, G. W. Residence.

127. Eddy, E. D. Store.

128. Eddy, E. D. Residence.

108. Farrar, H. P. Residence.

122. First National Bank.

121. Geuda Springs.

105. Hess, Frank J. Office.

106. Hess, Frank J. Residence.

131. Hasie, Geo. E. & Co. Store.

148. Hutchison, J. W. & Sons, Store.

143. Huey, James Residence.

146. Kellogg & Coombs Store.

147. Kellogg, H. D. Residence.

102. Kroenert & Austin.

136. Leland Hotel.

113. Landes, John Residence.

134. Mowry & Sollitt, Store.

132. Mowry, W. D., Residence.

110. Newman, A. A. & Co. Store.

122. Newman, A. A. Residence.

103. Occidental Hotel.

140. Pyburn, A. J. Office.

149. Post Office.

116. REPUBLICAN Office.

125. Rogers= Mill.

111. Searing & Mead, Mill.

105. Searing & Mead, Residence.

118. Sollitt, C. C. Residence.

135. Snyder, N. T. Residence.

106. Swarts, C. L. Office.

124. Traveler Office.

150. Winfield.


Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, September 5, 1885.

Of all the Cowley County patents we have yet seen gaining notoriety, Dr. Chapel=s patent car-coupler takes the lead. The Winfield Courier says of it, AThe world has been flooded of recent years with patent car-couplers, but Cowley County now steps to the front with one that outranks all others and will make its inventor a fortune, if he gets it introduced. It was invented by Dr. A. J. Chapel, of Arkansas City. It is an automatic drawbar, made of steel. It entirely does away with danger, and is very durable. It fastens clear across the end of a freight car, with automatic lever. Step up to either side of the car or on top, lift the lever, and the cars are uncoupled. They couple themselves by slide bars. Three links and solid iron bumpers form the coupling, all link pins raising at once at the pull of the lever. A stock company of Winfield and Arkansas City men will likely take hold of this patent with the Doctor, and put it to the front.@



Arkansas City Republican, September 5, 1885.

From the Wichita Beacon we glean news of the Arkansas Valley telephone line: The following towns are embraced in the circuit of the new telephone line, about to be built: Derby, Mulvane, Belle Plaine, Wellington, South Haven, Caldwell, Hunnewell, Geuda Springs, Oxford, Winfield, and Arkansas City. Wichita will be the headquarters, and the manager here will have general charge of the circuit. The charge for a five minutes conversation between parties in different towns will be twenty-five cents. Messrs. Smith and Daniels, superintendents of the line, left the city Wednesday for the southern towns on their circuit.




Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, October 17, 1885.

The best load on record. E. H. Turner hauled a load of stone this week for Kroenert & Austin, weighing 7,470 pounds.


Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, November 14, 1885.

H. G. Chipchase, telephone repairer of this district, was over from Wellington this week. He informed a REPUBLICAN representative that that much talked of telephone connection with Wichita, Wellington, and other towns, was under headway. The line is already completed to Belle Plaine from Wichita. Soon we can call Ahello@ to the denizens of Wichita.


Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, November 21, 1885.


To Be Constructed in Arkansas City

By The Inter-State Gas Company.

The Works to be in Operation Within Eight Months.

The Contract Let Last Wednesday Evening By the Council.

Last Monday evening the council met in regular session and owing to so much time being consumed in railroad talk, an adjournment was had until Wednesday evening for the purpose of once more tackling the water works question.

Monday Mayor Schiffbauer received a new proposition from the Inter-State Gas Company--for the putting in of water works in Arkansas City, and accordingly at the adjourned meeting Wednesday evening it was considered, amended to some extent, passed by sections, and then adopted unanimously by the members of the council. The ordinance is too lengthy to publish as a whole, but appended we give a synopsis.

The works are to be of the stand pipe system with direct pressure from the pumps. The stand-pipe is to be 115 feet high and 10 feet in diameter. It is to be set upon a stone foundation extending 22 feet into the earth. The masonry work rises two feet above the level of the ground, thus making a standpipe of 117 feet. There are to be three-and-one-half miles of street main laid, ranging from 4 to 10 inches in diameter. The mains are to be covered in every place by three feet of earth. When completed the works are to be capable of throwing water through a 2-1/2 inch hose with an inch nozzle 65 feet high from the stand-pipe and 100 feet from direct pressure. Two duplex pumps will be used with a capacity for pumping 1,000,000 gallons of water each every 24 hours. The water works company take our present system without any recourse on the city. Work is to be commenced within 30 days and everything is to be completed within eight months. The city was to take 50 hydrants at an annual rental of $60 per hydrant. In place of the city taking 50 hydrants for the extinguishing of fire, it will take 46 and construct four public drinking places. This is as good use as the city could put four hydrants to. All buildings are to be constructed of stone and brick; the machinery and material is to be of the best. The company also binds itself to have the stand-pipe full of water every evening between the hours of 8 and 11 o=clock, and if a fire should break out to put on immediately a full head of steam. The company agrees to stand all damages arising from the erection of their works. The works will be connected to the city office by telephone and other places designated by the council. The city has a right to purchase the works every five years. The franchise from the city is given for 21 years. Fifteen days are given the company to accept the contract as it now stands and fifteen more in which to file a $10,000 bond for the faithful fulfillment of it. The mayor and the council are to establish the water rates for private individuals.

The above is the substance of the proposition as near as we can obtain it. The REPUBLICAN thinks this is the best proposition the city has had yet. It is from the same company that Mr. Quigley represented when he was here. To some of our readers this will be a surprise, as there has been a lull in the water works question for quite awhile. We need the fire protection, and the matter is now definitely settled, we suppose.




Arkansas City Republican, December 12, 1885.

The telephone line connecting Arkansas City with Wichita, Mulvane, Belle Plaine, Wellington, Caldwell, Hunnewell, and Oxford is finished to Winfield, and as we were already connected to the county seat by Ahello,@ we now have communication with all the above named cities. The Courier says the sound is as distinct as with any connection in the city; with the voice at a low ebb, you can hear anything distinctly. This telephone line will be a vast convenience, especially to the newspapers, who will act as each other=s special agents and have, speedily, all important events in this circuit. This is another big step in the Queen City; advancement. H. G. Chipchase, superintendent, says the line is first-class in every respect. It is the hard-drawn copper wireCthe best in the world.


Arkansas City Republican, Saturday, December 19, 1885.

N. T. Snyder, manager of the telephone exchange, is taking steps to establish night service at the exchange. We are now connected by telephone with Wichita, Wellington, Winfield, Caldwell, Hunnewell, Mulvane, Geuda Springs, and Belle Plaine. A night operator would be of great service to our citizens. Service of our Doctors are now connected with the exchange and by this arrangement, parties having telephones in their residence can get connected with any of the Doctors= offices anytime during the night.


Arkansas City Republican, December 26, 1885.

The Water Works.

Last Monday night the council passed ordinance No. 27. The ordinance provides for the erection of water works in Arkansas City by the Inter-State gas company of St. Louis and repeals ordinance No. 26, which the council passed about a month since and forwarded to the company for acceptance. It was supposed by all that this ordinance had been accepted by the company; but instead of so doing, they drew up another document and forwarded it here for endorsement. The council took action last Monday evening, there being four for and three against the new ordinance. The new system to be put in does not come up to their former one, and yet they receive the same pay. The size of the pipe has been cut down. Three miles of pipe are to be laid; the company agreeing to put in two supply pipes of 10 inch capacity from the works to the main on Summit street. Then they agree to lay 1,700 feet of 8 inch pipe, 2,280 feet of 6 inch pipe, and the remainder not to be less than 4 inch.


Arkansas City Republican, January 23, 1886.

The Western Union telegraph line, from Beaumont to Winfield, on the Frisco line, was finished Saturday and is dispensing electricity in good shape. This is a convenience that has been badly needed in this line. The next thing, and in a short time, will be a regular mail on this route.


Arkansas City Republican, March 13, 1886.

A. J. Chapel, our inventive genius, has invented a patent label holder. He has one now in use at the No. 33 drug store. It reminds one somewhat of a case for railroad tickets. The space the case takes is very small. The doctor has applied for a patent, and when he receives it, he will commence the manufacture and sale of his invention.


Arkansas City Republican, April 24, 1886.

P. Pearson has just added to his large stock of furniture a new and valuable household article. As the warm season approaches, Mr. Pearson desires all housekeepers to know of the valuable invention he has in store for them. It is a refrigerator. It is different from any we have seen, and must be seen to be appreciated. Mr. Pearson warrants these refrigerators to become 5 degrees colder than any other made.


Arkansas City Republican, May 22, 1886.

W. B. Haigins, the boss patent right man of the southwest, made a novel trade Tuesday with a Winfield man. W. B. sells the right to agents to handle his patented ornamental grave covers. He traded the Winfield territory for a town lot. Just what Mr. Haigins intends doing with his lot, we can=t say, unless he starts a graveyard for the display of his grave covers. It is very seldom a patent right man gets hit; in fact, this is the only instance on record. Real estate can hardly be sold at any price in Winfield.


Arkansas City Republican, June 5, 1886.


To be put in Arkansas City by the Inter State Gas Company.

Guaranteed to be the Best in the State.

Our City to be the Western Headquarters for the

Inter State Gas Company.

Ten Miles of Main to be Laid, and More if Necessary. Now We Boom!

Per the courtesy of Mayor Schiffbauer and L. B. Andrews, a REPUBLICAN representative was shown the plans and specifications of the new water works now being put in our city by the Inter State Gas Company, of St. Louis.

At their office at the residence purchased by the company from Chas. Hutchins, the plans were shown us. To our vision was first exhibited the drawings of the pump and boiler house. It is located at the spring. The building is to be 35 x 70 feet, the pump house being two stories high upon a basement wall of 12 feet. The boiler house will be only one story. The upstairs of the pump house is to be utilized by the company as offices, being divided into them, viz: drafting room, and general and private offices. The building is to be of stone and brick handsomely finished with coppered steel cornice and roofing.

From the pump house a 10 inch main will be laid to Summit street, and on that street 8 inch main will be used from 3rd Avenue north to 9th Avenue. On 9th Avenue from 5th Street to 11th Street six inch main will be laid. On 4th Avenue from 5th Street to Summit, the same sized main will be laid. On 5th, 6th, 8th, and 9th Streets from 3rd Avenue to 9th Avenue, four inch main will be laid. From 7th Avenue to 9th Avenue, four inch main will be put down on 11th Street. The mains are to be extended into Leonard=s addition on 4th, 5th, and 6th Avenues, and wherever else it may be desired. The company, until the works are completed, will put a hydrant into your residence for the cost of services. This is a very liberal offer and many of our citizens are taking advantage of it. The water rates will be published in a few days.

J. B. Quigley and L. B. Andrews have charge of the construction of the works here and they inform us work will be pushed rapidly until completion. The former gentleman will remove his family here and take up his residence.

A large force of hands are excavating at the spring for the boiler and pump house and in a few days, Mr. Andrews tells us, he will have the basement walls ready for the building.

Five plugs are to be located so as to afford the best protection to the city.

The Inter State Gas Company, so far, are more than carrying out their contract with the city. They are giving a much better system of water works than intended. Arkansas City has improved so rapidly that they find it necessary in order to keep up with our growth. Besides the western headquarters are located here. Don=t forget this. How we boom!


Arkansas City Republican, June 19, 1886.

Work is progressing rapidly on the Water Works. The excavation for the stand-pipe is completed, and preparations for the stone-work is being commenced. The laying of mains is being done by a force of 60 men. Work on the boiler and pump house progresses as fast as men can do the work.


Arkansas City Republican, June 26, 1886.


Messrs. Bundrem & Gallager are the proprietors of the new meat market just opened up in the Bishop block, on north Summit street. They have one of the finest refrigerations in use in the southwest.

[Gallager??? Could this be Gallagher?]


Arkansas City Republican, July 31, 1886.


A refrigerator car has been put on by the Santa Fe Company for the accommodation of produce shippers. This car will leave Arkansas City every Tuesday for Colorado and New Mexico.


Arkansas City Republican, August 21, 1886.

Our water works company, with commendable enterprise, in order to keep pace with the rapid growth of the city, have changed the original plans so as to increase the power and capacity of the works throughout. The great duplex Blake pumps arrived Saturday. Their capacity is 1,000,000 gallons per day instead of 500,000, as was originally intended. Their weight is 7,500 pounds each. So on through: engine house, stand-pipe, water mains, etc.; all parts being built in proportion. We will have the best of water works. Mr. Quigley is a gentleman of ability and foresight and sees the advantage of putting in first-class works. He expects to give us water about the first of next month.


Arkansas City Republican, August 27, 1886.

Tannehill Tidings.

The ice cream supper given by G. R. Lester was a grand success in every particular. Ten gallons of the congealed ingredients were completely annihilated.

Dan Bayless has been making his steam thresher hum in the neighborhood this week. He frankly stated that the wheat in this locality was the best he had threshed this year.

J. H. Watt raised over two thousand bushels of wheat this year; this is the largest crop raised by any one man in this township.

Emmett and Curtis Watt had a yield of twenty bushels of wheat to the acre that their father allowed them to put out on the shares. These boys are rustlers and their work should be appreciated by their parents and rewarded accordingly.


Arkansas City Republican, August 27, 1886.


The Farmers Review, published at Bonham, Texas, has this to day of the inventive genius of a brother of Wyard Gooch, of this city.

AOur townsman, A. Gooch, has received letters patent on his new reinholder, and is now making arrangements to have them manufactured. This invention is one of the neatest things out. It is arranged so that it can be fastened to the front end of the wagon bed, and in an instant the team can be securely reined. It must be seen to be appreciated.@


Arkansas City Republican, September 4, 1886.

W. W. Smith, of Kansas City, general manager of the telephone company, was in the city yesterday. Mr. Smith will have all the present poles of the line removed and 25 foot poles put in place. This will raise the wire several feet.


Arkansas City Traveler, September 8, 1886.

The standpipe is now 120 feet high. Another course of plates has to be fastened on, and the addition of the cornice will complete the structure.


Arkansas City Traveler, September 15, 1886.

The Water Supply.

The new water supply is likely to be turned on in a day or two. The standpipe is finished; except the cap and some ornamental work at the top, but the connection with the pipe from the pump house and with the street main is not yet made. At the engine house, workmen are busy fitting up the interior, it being Mr. Quigley=s intention to put on an extra finish inside and out, and ornament the grounds in the most tasteful manner. A ditch is being dug from Speer=s spring to conduct the outflow to the well under the pump house, so as to secure an ample supply of water to meet the most pressing exigency. The pumps have been set working, and their movement is entirely satisfactory. When the standpipe is filled and all the preparation completed for turning the water into the mains, a test of their soundness will be made by putting on an extra pressure. This will discover any flaw that may exist in the pipes or their couplings, and these being repaired, the water service may then be considered as in effective working order.

There is no question but the Inter-State Gas company have done their work in a thorough and creditable manner, and the usefulness of their outlay will come home to all our citizens.


Arkansas City Republican, September 18, 1886.


Today the water works company turned the water into the stand-pipe. It was pumped full in a very short time.


Arkansas City Republican, September 25, 1886.


A few weeks ago her newspapers announced with a grand flourish that Winfield was going to have an electric light. Here is what that scheme amounted to, according to the Courier.

AFrank Williard, who came here a few weeks ago, with great pretensions, and got a franchise from our city council to put in an Excelsior electric light plant, has pawned a borrowed watch for his board and precipitately shaken the dust of the city from his brogans, owing everyone that would trust him and leaving a wife and two young children to the tender mercies of a cold and cruel world.@

It is now announced that 22 building blocks are to be erected before January 1, 1887. Wait and see what we shall see.


Arkansas City Traveler, September 29, 1886.

Now that the new water supply is turned on, and water is being furnished in abundance to houses and stores, there will be a great increase in the wastage, which can only be disposed of by pipes carrying it into the ground. This will create extensive seepage, and will in time seriously affect the health of our citizens. A profuse use of water for water closets, bath rooms, and other domestic purposes, will render a system of sewage necessary; and it will behoove our city fathers to take early steps to provide such a means of drainage.


Arkansas City Republican, October 2, 1886.

The Burden Eagle: AWinfield=s electric light man has skipped by the light of the moon, leaving behind him a wife, one child, and an unpaid board bill. Before Apulling out,@ he purloined $10 from the porte-mannale of Miss Ella Kelly.@

The REPUBLICAN advances the opinion that Miss Kelly in her candidacy for the county superintendency should leave electric light men severely alone. Moonlight men should satisfy her.


Arkansas City Republican, October 2, 1886.

For Sale. An eight horsepower engine, with steel boiler, all good as new. A great bargain. W. M. HENDERSON.


Arkansas City Republican, October 9, 1886.

Mowry & Sollitt have just put in a unique and very commodious money-changer. All you have to do is press a certain button and the correct change rolls out in your hand.


Arkansas City Republican, October 30, 1886.

The Telephone Exchanges both in Newton and Caldwell have been removed for the want of patronage. We are informed by N. T. Snyder, the manager here, that this exchange has grown from 30 to 60 subscribers during the past year, and that he has already one board of fifty members filled, and ordered the second from Kansas City. The company have also ordered a carload of 35-foot poles sent here, and as soon as they arrive, the old poles will be replaced with new. N. T. Snyder informs us that the work of the office is now more than Miss Emma can handle, and he has been obliged to put on an assistant operator and message boy.


Arkansas City Republican, November 7, 1886.

A Wonderful Discovery.

J. J. Johnson, of Columbiana, Ohio, claims to have invented a gas-making process that promises to outdo natural gas. W. B. Sutler, a prominent manufacturer of that place, gives the following particulars regarding the invention.

Johnson has been working on the invention for some time, and has succeeded in perfecting his process to such an extent that wonderful results were accomplished. The principle of the machine is a system of syphons, and air is forced alternately through water and through oil, resulting in gas. The tests made by Mr. Johnson on the machine first finished by him resulted in getting 450,000 cubic feet of gas from a barrel of oil. After this quantity of gas has been made, the residue of oil as a lubricator is said to be worth as much as the barrel of oil originally. It is cheaper than daylight, for after getting the light and fuel, the original value of the material is left.

Johnson made a trip to Boston and had a conference with capitalists regarding the sale of the right of the invention. After this, representative chemists of Harvard College were sent to Columbiana to investigate. They reported favorably upon it, and Johnson was given $1,000,000 for the right in the United States with the exception of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Later he sold the right to these four states, with the exception of Columbiana, to a Pittsburgh syndicate for $500,000. The men from Boston who examined the machine said that when perfected no doubt 1,000,000 feet of gas could be produced from one barrel of oil. As an illuminant, it is said to be far superior to the gas manufactured under the ordinary process, and as a fuel is vastly superior to natural gas. Its heat is intense. A bar of lead was thrust into the base and immediately fell apart. From a pipe which issues from Johnson=s laboratory issues a blaze eight feet that makes an intensely brilliant light. This will make a revolution in fuel and lighting.


Arkansas City Republican, November 7, 1886.


A. A. Davis and wife have returned from their Michigan visit.

We are told that the telephone line could have been run down the alley and supplied the city equally as well as it will by its erection on main street.


Arkansas City Republican, November 7, 1886.


Not in a Tea-pot, but in a Hole Made for the Reception of a Telephone Pole.

An exciting rumpus occurred in front of the First National bank this morning between the telephone gang, who are setting poles in the city, and F. W. Farrar and Calvin Dean. This morning they began a hole on the edge of the sidewalk in front of the bank. It was a narrow place in the walk and as this corner is one of the most prominent in the city, the pole would be a serious obstruction to pedestrians passing up and down the street. The telephone gang insisted on putting the pole in at that place. They refused to put it up in the gutter and sank the hole and were in the act of raising the pole when Messrs. Farrar and Dean appeared on the scene. They demanded that the pole be not put in the hole and Mr. Farrar jumped in to prevent it. Members of the gang attempted to pull him out and roll the end of the pole in. Both sides were getting madder than Awet hornets,@ and at the moment the telephone boys laid their hands on Mr. Farrar, he pulled a revolver and commanded them to remove them. After Fred had remained in the hole as long as he desired, he crawled out. Then the war commenced again. Mr. Dean attempted to remove the end of the pole from the sidewalk and about as fast as he would push it off, the telephone boys pushed it back. This was stopped by Policeman Johnnie Breene and Maj. Sleeth. The former proceeded to arrest the disputed hole; and the latter gained possession of the revolver and endeavored to cool the excited men by reasoning with them. No sooner had Messrs. Farrar and Dean stopped than the workmen again attempted to put the end of the pole in the hole, but Policeman Breene stopped them. For some time an excited crowd remained on the sidewalk discussing the matter. From what we ascertain the ordinance granting the franchise to the telephone company says the poles shall be erected on the outside of the sidewalk, and it further says that their erection shall create no obstruction to the passers-by. This was pointed out to the foreman of the gang and he was asked to observe it, but it appears he would not do so. Mr. Farrar acted unwisely in drawing a revolver and handling it in the manner he did. He was liable to have shot some uninterested and innocent person. But he evidently thought a seven-shot revolver and the possession of the hole were more effective than the slow resort to law. Then, again, if the employees of the company had wished to do right, they would have put other poles up until the question was settled. It is right our citizens should be protected from the unjust infringements by foreign companies and their employees. These workmen were entirely too aggressive for their own interests as well as the company=s. The question as to where the pole will stand will most likely be settled in the courts.

[Note: In Friday=s daily the following was printed: AWe are told that the telephone line could have been run down the alley and supplied the city equally as well as it will by its erection on main street.@]


Arkansas City Republican, December 4, 1886.


The Winfield Visitor made an outrageous mistake when it stated that Major Sleeth was the Ahero@ of the telephone pole tragedy in this city. The Major endeavored to make peace.


Arkansas City Republican, December 4, 1886.


The telephone war is over. The National Bank and the company compromised. The pole will be put in on the corner. This is as it should be. It is to Arkansas City=s interest to have a good telephone service, and it is to the company=s interest not to antagonize our citizens. The company have put new poles all over the city, run wires, rented new office rooms for an exchange. One excellent feature about the new exchange room is that parties desiring to transact private business matters over the telephone can do so and not be overheard.


Arkansas City Republican, December 18, 1886.

A drunken sailor on the standpipe this morning was quite a sensation. When first seen he was about half way up the ladder on the standpipe. He ascended to the top and climbed on the deck. He staggered and fell around just as though he was on board of a vessel in a hurricane. Faint hearted spectators began to halloo to him, to come down before he fell. He paid no heed to their cries, but Alurched@ around more than ever. Every moment he was expected to fall by the crowd which had gathered. But he didn=t. As soon as he grew tired of looking around, he descended. When on the ground he could scarcely walk and how he maintained his position on the narrow top of the standpipe we cannot understand.




Arkansas City Traveler, November 3, 1886.

The city council held a secret session last Friday to adopt ordinances granting franchises to build and operate a street car line, and also to put in city gas works. The secrecy of the proceeding created considerable comment, and fears were expressed that our city fathers would grant such liberal terms as would be irksome to our citizens. But these seem to think they have a good thing before them. If any good comes of the locked up business, due praise will be accorded them; but if their judgment is astray, they may look out for no end of cussing.


Arkansas City Traveler, November 10, 1886.

Complaint having been made to the telephone company at Kansas City that the service here was not satisfactory, Charles Masten, their foreman of construction, has been sent here to reconstruct the exchange and remodel the whole business. The office will be removed to the Johnson Loan and Trust Co.=s building, where a new section of switch board will be put in and a new cable box with 100 wire cable. Mr. Masten is accompanied by six assistants who will replace the present poles with new ones and hang fresh wires. This work will probably consume six weeks. The material is all here.


Arkansas City Traveler, November 24, 1886.

Dr. C. D. Brown carries a very ingenious device on his buggy, known as an odometer with a small bell attached, that rings every mile he travels. It is fastened to the hind axle of the buggy with a pin in one of the spokes of the wheel that strikes the odometer at every revolution. The works tally the revolutions on the same principle that the two hands of a clock tally the time of day.


Arkansas City Traveler, Wednesday, December 1, 1886.


$100,000 Expended in Furnishing the Vital Element.

A Contract with the City Honestly Carried Out and Well Performed.

The Reservoir, the Pumphouse, the Standpipe, and the System of Mains Described.

When the proposition of Messrs. Plate and Quigley, representing the Inter-State Gas Co., of St. Louis, to furnish this city with a water supply was before our citizens, the assurance was given by those gentlemen, and Mayor Schiffbauer confirmed their declaration, that, if the franchise was given them to build a water works system, a more extended service would be provided and more money expended than the instrument framed by the city council called for. After long deliberation and the starting of many objections, the charter to build a system of water works was granted the above company, and early in the summer season they set about their undertaking. A site for the standpipe was purchased on Fourth Avenue (near Eighth Street) and the fit place for the erection of the pumphouse being designated at the springs, on the west side of town, the work of excavating the rock and walling in a reservoir was promptly set about. The system of water mains was designated in the city ordinance; a 10 inch pipe from the pump house to the standpipe; an 8 inch pipe laid along Summit Street, and the two parallel streets immediately east and west, extending from Third Avenue to Ninth; and 6 inch pipes laid transversely through the city along the intermediate avenues. Fifty fire plugs were also to be set up, at points designated by the city council, for each of which an annual rental of $60 is charged, aggregating $3,000 a year.

But while this system of pipes was being laid, this city took on a boom, and the building industry was plied so vigorously, that an extension of the water service became an immediate necessity. To meet this want a supplementary charter was granted, providing for the laying of three miles more of main pipe and the setting of 50 additional hydrants, at the above named rental, with the provision that the free use to the city of one-half of these additional hydrants shall be given for two years. The pipe to make this extension is now arriving, and will be laid this fall, weather permitting. The main on Summit Street will be carried south to the cracker factory, and that on Fourth Avenue east to the Santa Fe depot. The service will be extended laterally two streets east and two west, that is, from Sixth to Fourth Street, and from Eighth to Tenth; and transversely to Third Avenue on the south, and to Eleventh Avenue on the north. The mains so far as laid were subjected to an Aoverpowering pressure,@ which developed all the weak places. The defective pipes were replaced with others, and now the street service is in effective condition.


is built on a rock, and is designed to last through succeeding generations. Its exterior is a model of compactness, solidity, and symmetry. It has a frontage of 32 feet, facing westward, and a depth of 64 feet, being built on the walls of the reservoir. In the engine room two steel boilers are erected, made by the Pond Engineering Co., of Dayton, Ohio, having a total length of 18 feet, and a depth of 552 inches. Each is perforated with 32 flues. By means of a Lowe heater, the water is poured into these boilers at a temperature but a few degrees below boiling heat, thus economizing fuel, and rendering but thirty minutes working of the pumps per day necessary to supply the ordinary wants of the city. The consumption of coal is but 500 lbs. A day. Adjoining the boiler room on the west is the pump house, a handsomely designed apartment, 32 feet square, elaborately finished with frieze work around the walls, the ceiling paneled with heavy moulding, the latter tinted and gilt. The spacious doors are surmounted with transoms, which admit the light through cathedral glass; and handsome fresco painting adorns the ceiling and walls. The wood is grained as cherry and varnished. The floor is laid with cement and cut diamond shape in imitation of stone. In this room are two pair of Blake compound duplex pumps, with a capacity of drawing 2,000,000 gallons in 24 hours. This is far in excess of our present wants, but the whole system is adapted to a city population of 40,000 people. The upstairs apartments are unfinished, but they are being fitted up for an office 15 by 30 feet; and two roomy and elegant bed chambers. They are approached by a well built stair case, with handsome newells and banisters. The entire building will be heated by steam. Admirable taste has been displayed in designing this building; the exterior impressing the eye with its compactness and solidity and the interior pleasing the taste with its elegance of detail.

The lots owned by the Arkansas City Water Co., have a frontage of 100 feet and a depth of 132 feet. This will be enclosed with ornamental iron railing, and the surface raised eight feet to a level with the building. Upon this will be spread a coat of black mould, and blue grass sown to produce a lawn. Gravel walks will divide the herbage into parterres, fountains will keep the grass green, and shade trees will be planted to add to the scenic effect. Mr. Quigley has frequently said that he intended to make his pump house and grounds an ornament to the city, and his taste and liberality will certainly redeem his promise.

It is known to our readers that this enterprise is now distinct from its parent institution. The Inter-State Gas Co., being organized as a home company, with its officers and directors resident in this city.

The sum of $100,000 has been expended in providing this water supply; and its cost to the city for fire protection is $1,500 a year. This is an onerous tax, but the choice was between that or nothing. But the risk of loss by fire being so much reduced, a vigorous kick again at the present rates of insurance should be made by property holders to bring underwriters who have risks here to make an equitable reduction in their taxes.




Arkansas City Republican, January 1, 1887.

Notice is given in another column of night service at the telephone exchange. This will be a great convenience for parties having telephones in their residences. In case of sickness they can call a physician. Several of our physicians have already put telephones in their residences and others have ordered them. It will also be a help in case of fire. The water works have a telephone. When a fire alarm is sounded, it can be at once located. A fire alarm should also be placed in the room occupied by the fire companies.


Arkansas City Republican, January 15, 1887.


The state penitentiary of Leavenworth is lighted with electric light throughout, the cells and corridors being made as light as day incandescent lights.


Arkansas City Republican, February 19, 1887.

By Telephone.

A few days ago we reported a large sale of city property to Chicago parties, which was made by telegraph. Today we report a sale by telephone to F. C. Jocelynn, also of Chicago. Mr. Jocelynn, who was in the city the first of the week, left last evening for Wichita, after looking at considerable property. This morning Lowe, Hoffman & Barron received a telephone message from him, telling them he would take the two I. Eskridge business lots on north Summit street, opposite the Gladstone Hotel, at $12,000 cash. Mr. Jocelynn is a Chicago capitalist, has large lumber interests in Wichita, and is an extensive real estate owner in Arkansas City. We are informed he contemplates the building of a large three story business block on these lots. And still we boom.


Arkansas City Republican, March 5, 1887.


Hilliard & Keeler have put a telephone in the livery barn.


Arkansas City Republican, March 5, 1887.


C. G. Furry telephones over from Geuda that his town is booming. Surveyors are running lines all over the city and additions. The contract for the new hotel and bath house will be let next week.


Arkansas City Republican, March 12, 1887.


S. B. Pickel has put telephone service in his grocery store.


Arkansas City Republican, March 26, 1887.

We Want More Light.

Arkansas City has grown to be a city of magnificent proportions, and as such, she demands more light for her darkened streets and alleys. For almost one year past our city fathers have been wrestling with this subject and here a short time ago they granted the franchises for gas and electric lights to Col. Holliday, of Topeka. As yet no steps have been taken toward their establishment, or the carrying out of the provisions of the franchises. Col. Holliday has until May 1st in which to commence work, but it is believed before that time Arkansas City will have light. The fact that our neighboring cities are all enjoying light upon their streets and the benefits of other modern improvements due a city the size of Arkansas City has retarded our growth. While they were enjoying all those, Arkansas City apparently, to an outsider, was making no effort to secure them. The time has come when we must have more light upon the subject. The time has arrived when something must be done toward getting light upon our streets immediately. The growth of the city demands more light; the public demands more light; the outside public demands more light; and more light we must have and that soon.

Just at present a great many strangers are coming to our city. They all concede and say Arkansas City has the best prospects for becoming a city of any town in the state, but this assertion is spoiled when they add Abut you are behind your neighboring cities in public improvements. Your streets are not lighted up; you have no street railway, nor any of the modern public improvements.@ This is a fact.

Strangers coming into our city find our streets in darkness. They go stumbling around over the debris scattered on our sidewalks, endangering their lives, and they get out of town glad they escaped without the breaking of any bones. Unfortunately, our city has a number of loose characters, as every growing city has, who would think nothing of knocking a man down and robbing him of his money while darkness pervades our streets.

Arkansas City is behind the times in this respect. We must have some light upon the subject if we expect to keep to the front of the procession of the cities in Southern Kansas.


Arkansas City Republican, April 2, 1887.

The statement is made in a Philadelphia paper that Edison, the inventor, has the voice of the late Mr. Beecher preserved in tin foil, and he can reproduce it in his phonograph at pleasure. When he perfected this instrument, he secured the living utterances of a number of eminent persons, Mr. Beecher among the number, and has them preserved in a cabinet. The speech of each person is expressed in little indentations on a sheet of tin foil, and when these are placed in the phonograph, the words with the actual sound of the voice that uttered them are repeated.


Arkansas City Republican, April 2, 1887.


The time may be coming when lamps, gas, and other lights now in use will be out of use. Clock and watch faces are now made luminous so that the time can be read upon them in darkness. Why will not the time come when the walls of our apartments shall be so prepared chemically, in the papering or in the coating of some nature, as to take up light at day and give it off at night. The illuminated watch is a promise of this, more potent to our advanced civilization and science than have been the promises of the first suggestions to invention which have resulted in the telegraph, the electric light, and a hundred other marvelous achievements of this age.