An ariticle written by Elwin Hunt in the Arkansas City Traveler of July 10, 1928 in which he refers to a Arkansas City Traveler article dated September 1, 1911. He stated AThe city of Winfield was first known as Logandale, but later by ballot the citizens changed it, their selection being in honor of Winfield Scott..@ (I had never heard of Logandale before. I then went to the Sept 1, 1911 article which said AThe city of Winfield was first known as Legonda, but latter the citizens by ballot adopted the name of Winfield...@ Mr. Hunt had made a mistake in his 1928 article.RKW)

Its first settler was C. M. Wood, who located on the town site, April 20th, 1869. Two gentlemen, Jas. Renfro and U. B. Warner, accompanied him at that time. They were joined in a few days by E. C. Manning. They were burnt out by Indians on the first of June of the same year, and compelled to leave. No one occupied the site from that time until the 10th of October, when Wood returned, bringing his wife with him. They erected a log house which was fired by the Indians again, but they succeeded in saving it and holding the fort. The last of November, Manning and Baker brought on a stock of goods and used Wood's house for a storeroom until they could erect a store, which they did of logs. The old log store is still in use in the city.

Around the First of December, 1870 The Walnut Valley times repeated a Winfield Censor article -"A BAPTIST CHURCH. The Rev. Winfield Scott was here a few days of this and last week and preached several interesting sermons. He woke our people up to the importance of building a church at once. A building committee has been selected, the site chosen, the work commenced. The structure is to be of stone, 24 x 40 on the ground, 16-1/2 feet walls. Over $500 of the money necessary for the building has been pledged, and the stone is already being delivered on the ground.

The Cowley County Old Settlers' Association met at Dexter Wednesday, August 26, 1903. H. E. Silliman gave the following report on early Winfield. It was printed in the September 3, 1903, Winfield Free Press.

"The first building on the townsite of Winfield was Manning's old store which stood where Youngheim's clothing store now stands. It was later moved to the rear of Myton's lots, and along in 1880 the writer saw it burn when fire swept the corner where Myton's store now stands, burning, not only the old log store, but several large frame buildings. The old log store was built by the settler's who put up the walls and roof, and Manning completed it. The citizens were to have the use of the second story for court and other public meetings for two years when it became the property of Manning.

"The understanding at that time was that the townsite of forty acres was to be the property of those who were settled on it at the time it was platted by the government.

"The first school was taught by Miss Annie A. Marks, now Mrs. David Gross. It was a subscription school and was held in the old log store. Mrs. Gross says it was in the spring of 1871. There were fifteen children in attendance, among whom were Cora Andrews, Frank Howland and Ben Manning.

"The first public school building was the north wing of Central high school building and was erected in 1872, being a substantial stone building 36 by 36 feet. E. P. Hickok was the first teacher in it and Mrs. Hickok was the next. She taught the summer school while he farmed his claim.

"The first public school was held in the First M. E. church located on East 9th avenue. It was taught by Rev. Frank Parmlee.

"The First M. E. was the first church building erected. It was built on East 9th avenue near where the Free Press is now printed, and may be seen on the alley between 6th and 7th avenue near (the) turn Of (the) Missouri Pacific railroad and is used as a barn. The first move to build it was an offer of Dr. W. G. Graham to furnish the dimension and such stuff as could be sawed by him on the mill he and John Wentch were running, -- rest of the church would furnish cash enough to pay for lumber to finish it. Mell Graham started out with a subscription paper and in a very short time the necessary amount was secured. Dr. Graham sawed the lumber he furnished for the church after the day's work had been done and he and his partner on custom work, Mrs. Graham chinking the logs as the Dr. rolled them to the mill and holding the lantern that he might see to saw.

"The first church organized was the first Methodist. It was organized in May, 1870, by Rev. B. C. Swartz, father of Judge Swartz. It had but three members to start with, but they soon gathered a goodly number together. The three members were Dr. G. W. Graham, Mrs. Fannie T. Graham and T. M. Graham.

"Rev. B. C. Swartz was the First M. E. preacher and Rev. E. P. Hickok the first Baptist. Judge T. B. Ross was first to preach on the townsite, but I could not learn what denomination (M. E.) he claimed. Rev. Frank Parmlee was the First Congregational minister, Rev. A. R. Naylor the first Presbyterian preacher and organized the church in January, 1873. Rev. Womack was the first Christian preacher and also the first pastor. There seems to be some difference of opinion as to who the first preacher was but no record was kept. Rev. B. C. Swartz was probably as early as any according to Col. Manning. Probate Judge T. B. Ross preached the first sermon on the townsite, but there were preachers and sermons before there was a townsite, and the fact that some of the parties were giving townsite's more of their attention than they gave preachers may account for it. Rev. Mr. Colton was the first Episcopal minister and organized the church in 1878. This church lost its records by fire, and another building was destroyed by cyclone.

"The Lutheran church was organized in 1887. Rev. C. Spannuth was the first pastor.

"The United Brethren church was organized Nov. 13, 1881. Rev. H. H. Snyder was the first preacher.

"The Catholic church was built in 1887. The first priests were Reverends Schumaker and Boneilione who were Jesuit fathers. Courier - Aug 14, 1879 - Rev. Paul M. Pontziglione, S. J., of St. Francis Institute, Osage Mission, is said to be a near relative of the present king of Italy. The people of Winfield will remember that Father Pontziglione had the Catholic church of this place in his charge during a few of the first years, and was highly esteemed.

"Q. O. Smith was the first permanent preacher. He was sent from Ottawa, Kansas, made the trip on foot and stayed at Mr. Orr's on his way down, making his appearance at Dr. Graham's without breakfast, presumably because he had no money to pay for it.

"The first fraternal society was the Masonic. Its first place of meeting was the Hudson building on North Main street. It was organized September 1, 1871, and Adelphi Lodge No. 110 was chartered Oct. 17, 1872. The report to obtain the charter showed a membership of 23. The first officers were J. S. Hunt. W. M.; A. H. Green, S. W.; Enoch Marris, J. W.; C. A. Bliss, treasurer, A. A. Jackson, secretary; T. A. Rice, S. D.; W. M. Boyer, J. D.; H. Shawnis, J. L.; M. Hill, steward; I. L. Comfort, tyler. Later another lodge was organized, but both are now consolidated and known as Winfield Lodge No 110.

"The first organization was the Settlers' Protective Union organized in the fall or winter of 1869. Dr. W. G. Graham was president, C. M. Wood, secretary. Its business was to settle disputes between parties claiming the same piece of land and to protect settlers from the Indians. When this tribunal made a decision there were no lengthy delays between judgment and carrying out its findings.


"The first newspaper published in the county was the Cowley County Censor. In August, 1870, as Capt James McDermott was making a trip from Dexter to Emporia, he met a man with a team on upper Grouse who had lost his bearings and there were no roads then to guide him. Upon inquiry he found the man to be A. J. Patrick with a printing press in his wagon on his way to Winfield to start a newspaper. Millington in his history says "The first two numbers of the Censor, August 13 and 20, were printed at Augusta, and after that at Winfield. The press was the famous and historic Meeker press, the first printing press ever brought to Kansas. The paper was owned by several parties and finally died at the mature age of 17 months. It was always Republican."


"In June, 1869, Cliff M. Wood brought some groceries down from Chase county to sell to Indians and settlers. He erected a kind of stockade near where Baden's mill now stands, but fearing the Indians, he went to James Renfro's. The stockade was burned by the Indians. Probably the first store, properly speaking, was that of Manning and Baker in the old log store built for Manning by the town company in payment for the 40 acre townsite.


"The first railroad was the Cowley, Sumner & Ft. Smith, now a part of the Santa Fe system. There are 32 miles of the road in Cowley County. It was completed and trains running regularly thereon October 1, 1879, as far as Winfield. It was completed to Arkansas City October 13, 1879. The second road reached Winfield February 17, 1880. It is now a part of the Santa Fe system, but was given bonds as a rival road.


"The first sawmill was run by W. G. Graham and John Mentch. It was an upright saw and was run by water power furnished by the damming of Timber creek at a point near where the Union cemetery is situated. The first lumber sawed was for a claim house for W. G. Graham. This was probably the first water power used in the county.


"The Winfield Bank was the first bank. It was established by J. C. Fuller and was located on the ( south-west) corner of 9th avenue and Main street, where the Winfield National bank now stands. Col. J. C. McMullen soon after became associated with Mr. Fuller, and for a number of years they successfully ran it. They sold it to the Schulers who sold it to Wm. E. Otis and his associates. While the bank has had several owners and been changed to a National bank it has been in continuous business ever since.


"The first house was that of C. M. Wood erected in October, 1869. This was probably not on the present townsite but nearby, and to which he brought his bride of a few weeks in November, 1869.


"The first frame house in the county was built by Alonzo Howland for which he hauled the lumber 100 miles and for most of the way there was no sign of a road.


"The first postmaster was Edward C. Manning who was appointed May, 1870, and the first building used as a postoffice was the old log store.


"J. H. Johnson, who came from Indiana, was the first attorney. He was a Republican in politics but my informant said in local matter he was a Manning or people's man. I think the Republicans held a convention at Arkansas City and nominated a ticket, and the opposition was called the 'Peoples ticket'.


"The first settler was C. M. Wood, who in June brought down some groceries to sell to settlers and Indians, and erected a kind of stockade, where Baden's mill now stands, but the Osage Indians caused him so much trouble that he moved to James Renfros' some miles up the Walnut. In August the settlers were ordered out and the Indians burned the stockade. All the settlers went to Butler county except T. B. Ross. The first permanent settlement was made in September 1869. These, given here, may not have been on the townsite, but were part of the present community. The first house was probably a log house on C. M. Wood's claim.


"October 31th 1869, the only residents near or on the townsite were C. M. Wood, W. W. Andrews, James Lunty and Nate Lunty. From what I have learned by looking up these matters, there was probably times when one lone person was the only settler from the fact that nearly everyone if not every one was holding down a claim, and had his residence on it whether he lived there or not, and was prepared to prove such residence to the satisfaction of the U. S. land officials.


"An incident related to the writer by Alonzo Howland some years ago, brought to his mind by the return of the woman in the case from her home in the far west, which shows the way each assisted his neighborhood when in need, let the need be what it would.


"A young couple from near Glen Grouse came to Winfield to get a license and get married. They arrived near night but got the necessary legal papers and as the Congregational minister being their choice they drove to near his residence, staked out their horses expecting to have the knot tied and in a few minutes return, cook their supper, and occupy their bridal chamber, the covered wagon. What was their surprise and dismay to find the minister, Rev. Frank Pamelee, away some miles in the country and not expected home that night. Night was at hand, they could not camp in that wagon as lovers with propriety. The groom unburdened his mind to Mr. Howland stating the fact that they had not come prepared to stay at a hotel (money was short per capita in those days) and asked his assistance. Mr. Howland hitched up, drove them to where Rev. Pamelee was, and the necessary words were said. The two hearts beating as one after thanking their rescuer they returned to their "Prairie Schooner" and commenced what proved to be a prosperous voyage on the matrimonial sea.


"The first 4th of July celebration was held under a booth erected in the rear of the old log store made of poles covered with brush. Prof. E. P. Hickok was the orator of the day. Mrs E. C. Manning and Mrs. E. P. Hickok had charge of the music, Mrs. Manning's organ being used, and during the day these ladies were chosen to take up a subscription to get music books for future use. About the close of the celebration Col. Manning asked for a meeting of the men, when he stated that information had been received that led to the belief that the Indians were planning to assist the U. S. in removing the settlers if the bill did not pass Congress to treat with them for their lands. The Government scouts had brought the information that the Osages, who were called friendly Indians, were in consultation with the Cheyennes and Arapahos, known as hostile or unfriendly Indians. This coupled with the fact that for some time past no Indians had been seen, led to the belief that they were bent on mischief. It may not generally be known that the settlers remained by on the advice of the Indian agents because the Indians wished to sell their lands and their presence on the land would lead the Government to do something and the easiest way for the Government would be to buy the lands. At the meeting, plans were made to concentrate the settlers at the log store by signal gun shots. Scouts were chosen and sent out for a distance of 30 miles but no Indians were seen. Arrangements were made with cattle men further south to notify the settlement on approach of the Indians. It was thought best to keep this from the women as it might make them nervous as they pursued their daily avocations on the scattered claims. However, on July 15, Congress passed the bill to treat with the Indians for the land and no trouble occurred.


"Mrs. Fannie P. Graham was the first white woman to reach Winfield who stayed here. She reached Winfield October 31, 1869. They spent their first night camping, but next day moved into a partly erected house owned by C. M. Wood, who wanted the Grahams to move in while he went to Cottonwood Falls after his wife whom he had married about six weeks before. He wanted them to occupy it so the Indians would not burn it down, as some time before he had left his store and stockade and they burned them down. The house was not finished, the doorway and places for windows being cut, but no doors or windows in. It had a puncheon floor; the gables were not in, but it was roofed.


"The first birth in Winfield was a son to Abraham Land and wife who had just arrived from the historic Hoopole Township, Posey county, Indiana, and were camped near where Baden's mill now stands. The birth occurred in a shelter made by a wagon sheet stretched over bows, and while a furious storm was raging. As soon as the event became known the new arrival and his mother were carried on an improvised stretcher to a house nearby that was partly erected, the roof being on, but the logs not chinked. That they might be protected from the snow and wind, all the carpets in town were brought into use and tacked to the logs. This was about December 5, 1869.


"The first death was a little son of Mrs. Hill, J. C. Monforte's daughter, and as at that time there was no cemetery, the child was buried underneath a large tree about two miles north of Winfield where it still lies."


DECEMBER 30, 1880. The Rev. J. A. Hyden invited to dinner on Tuesday last all the old men in the vicinity. Quite a gay party met and did full justice to the magnificent tables loaded down with turkeys, hams, cakes, pies, coffee, and the many et ceteras, got up in the best order and with the best taste.

During and after dinner the guests and host entertained each other with many pleasant stories and reminiscences of the past. Mrs. Hyden and her sons and daughters furnished charming music. Mr. Hyden made a short and very entertaining address, and the guests made short speeches of sentiment and thanks.

Charley Black appeared rather old and J. E. Conklin next. We did not succeed in getting their ages nor that of the COURIER man. We obtained notes concerning others as follows.

S. S. Holloway was born in Loudon county, Virginia, June 27, 1820, went to Belmont county, Ohio, in 1826; married there in 1846 to Miss Mary R. Weitzel; he was a Quaker, she a Presbyterian. The combination produced two good Methodists. Came to Cowley county in ____ [PAPER TORN...COULD BE 1878 OR 1875 ?].

J. W. Pugsley was born in Athens county, Ohio, Feb. 8, 1828; lived in Ohio 27 years and in Illinois 25 years, and arrived in this county June 4, 1880.

William Kelly, born in Ireland, June 15, 1820, came to America June 2, 1847, to Ohio in 1849, to Indiana in 1852, and to Cowley county, Kansas, in October, 1871.

Daniel W. Bliss, born at Saratoga, New York, April 28, 1822; went to Wisconsin in 1854, to Iowa in 1868, and to this county in 1876.

William Greenlee, born in Washington Co., Pennsylvania, August 3, 1816; went to Ohio in 1861, to Illinois in 1871, and came to Cowley in 1874.

John M. Alexander, born in Cortland Co., New York, Dec. 6, 1822; went to Pennsylvania in 1840, and to Kansas in 1854; came to Cowley county in July, 1870.

John T. Quarles, born in Pulaski Co., Kentucky, May 11, 1818; came to Kansas in 1855, and to Cowley in 1873.

D. V. Cole, born in Greene Co., Kentucky, June 23, 1824; went to Iowa in 1832, and came to Cowley Co., Kansas, in 1878.

Jacob T. Hackney, born in Pike Co., Ohio, Sept. 20, 1816; went to Indiana in 1825, to Illinois in 1828, and came to this county often during the last five years, but came to stay in March, 1880.

Samuel Ingham, born in Oneida Co., New York, April 29, 1814; went to Michigan in 1860, and came to this county in October, 1878. [COULD BE 1873...HARD TO READ.]

Francis D. Stebbins, born in Onondaga Co., New York, April 3, 1821; came to Cowley Co., Kansas, Feb. 24, 1880.

Leland Daggett, born in Berkshire Co., Massachusetts, Nov. 12, 1808; lived in New York state five years, in Illinois 36 years, and in Missouri 6 years, and came to this county in 1870.

James Call, born in Fayett Co., Pennsylvania, in 1796; lived in Canada until 1856, in Iowa until April, 1879, when he came to Cowley county. He is 84 and the oldest man present.

John C. McNeil, born in Washington Co., Virginia, May 16, 1814; lived in Ohio until 1842, then Indiana until 1878, when he came to Cowley county.

J. A. Hyden, born in Roane Co., Tennessee, May 19, 1830, and lived in that State until he moved to Kansas in 1877; came to Cowley in March, 1878.

We did not interview Will Hyden because we thought it would be delicate about telling his age, but will say that he was a gentleman in his attentions to his guests.

After music, an invocation and the doxology, the party dispersed with the warnmest feelings for Mr. and Mrs. Hyden.