News Items about the Ark City / Winfield Interurban

Arkansas City Traveler, Tuesday, April 12, 1921.


Fifty Gallons of Mash and Some Corn Whiskey Captured

The best little ten gallon still yet picked up in Cowley county was captured by Sheriff Goldsmith and his force Saturday morning at the home of W. A. Gidney, a mile and and a half west of town. Fifty barrels of corn mash and three or four gallons of white corn whiskey were captured at the same time. Gidney pleaded guilty before Justice O'Hare this forenoon and was sentenced to pay a fine of $200 and to serve sixty days in jail.

Gidney, for a month or more, has been living on the road going west from the junction on Riverside ave. and the Country Club road. His home is the first on the south side of the road west of the interurban tracks. For the past two or three years, he has been managing a farm; but failing health caused him to quit the job, he stated to the sheriff. Having rheumatism, he said, he was unable to work, and took to selling liquor to make a living. At first, as he is said to have told it, he brought the stuff in. Three weeks ago he bought the still, he said, and began to make his own liquor.

Information of Gidney's enterprise leaked to the officers. A degree of certainty developed last night. At eight this morning, Sheriff Goldsmith, Undersheriff Don Goldsmith, and Deputy Charles Goforth went out to Gidney's armed with a search warrant covering the entire section of which Gidney's place was a part. Gidney, it is said, weakened the moment he saw the sheriff and made practically a clean breast of it. A back room in the basement of the house was found to contain a fifty five gallon barrel nearly full of mash, warm and fermenting. A five gallon keg was nearly full of corn whiskey. There was also about a gallon of "first run" whiskey.

Urged by the sheriff, Gidney showed the officers the still. Just back of the house is a two strand wire fence. Hanging on the fence was an old quilt. The quilt hung down on both sides, and would be taken as a quilt hanging out to dry. On the ground under the fence, concealed by the quilt, the still was found.

It is a very good quality, all copper still. Gidney told the sheriff that he bought it from a man in Winfield three weeks ago, paying twenty-five dollars for it. He denied its being what is known as the "Deal still."

Gidney has a wife and three children. The oldest child is a boy fifteen; the youngest is a toddler. Living with the Gidney's are two old men, said to be grandfathers of the Gidney children. Winfield Courier.

Arkansas City Daily Traveler, Friday, April 15, 1921.

Cars Stop at Landing Field.

The Williams-Hill Landing Field was further favored this morning when an announcement was received at the office of the Chamber of Commerce. This notice was from the Company, to the effect that a stop would be made regularly at the landing field. All parties wishing to go to the landing field can take the interurban and it will stop hereafter on the top of the hill, just west of the hangars.


Arkansas City Traveler, Friday, July 29, 1921.

Man With Lots of Small Change Arrested Yesterday at Winfield.

He Denied the Charge, However, But Was Trying to Trade

Small Coins for Large Ones At the Time.

The Interurban office on West Ninth, Winfield, was broken into Wednesday night and the cash box turned in for the College Hill car was carried away, says the Courier. A man trying to get small change turned into larger coins or bills, at the fair grounds, was arrested about ten o’clock Thursday forenoon by City Marshal Fred Hoover. When searched, the man’s numerous pockets yielded $27.55 mostly in small change. The man is said to be from Arkansas City, and his name is said to be Herbert, last name not disclosed.

The robbery took place sometime between 12:15 and seven o’clock. The last car to College Hill turned in shortly after midnight. The cash box was set under the counter inside the cashier’s cage. This was the only box which had any money in it. The amount in the box was $28.71, according to the register. The amount taken from the alleged robber was $1.16 short of the amount from the box.

How the entrance was made is not known. The janitor who sweeps the office comes early and leaves the outer door open when he goes away. This is so passengers for the seven o’clock car can get into the waiting room. The burglar may have entered after the janitor left and before anyone else arrived. When Mrs. Charley Lambrecht, cashier in the office, arrived just before seven, a man was in the waiting room waiting for the car. The loss of the box was noticed immediately and a search made. The man who was in the waiting room said that no one was there when he came. The robbery must have taken place before that.

Mrs. Lambrecht notified the receiver of the loss and phoned it to several of the street car men. H. W. Taplin, one of the car drivers, has a hot sausage stand at the fairground. Mrs. Lambrecht notified him of the loss and told him to be on the lookout for a man with lots of small change. This proved to be a good guess. This was about nine o’clock. Shortly after that Mr. Taplin observed a man going from stand to stand getting small amounts of small change changed for dollars. Three dollars of it was turned in to Mr. Taplin and Mr. Johnson, who have the sausage stand together.

Taplin gave the story to Charles Huston, stable man at the fairground. Huston came uptown and got City Marshal Fred Hoover, who went to the grounds and made the arrest. The man was taken to the city jail, where he was searched, and the money found scattered through his pockets. The only other money he had was a dime in a small purse. The cash box has not been found.

The case was turned over to County Attorney Fink, who made the necessary investigation. The prisoner was then taken to the county jail to be held for a hearing. He stoutly maintained that he did not steal the money. It is possible that he will claim that he traded bills to some other man, the other man having so much small change and desiring to get bills before the bank opened. He got himself into trouble trying to trade back in small amounts.


Arkansas City Traveler, Saturday, July 30, 1921.


Complaint Entered Against Herbert Cornelison Today.

A charge of burglary and larceny was entered by County Attorney Fink this morning against Herbert Cornelison, of Arkansas City, who is accused of breaking into and robbing the Interurban office here yesterday morning. The complaint was filed in Justice O. A. Hott’s court. No other developments in the case have been reported.

Cornelison was apprehended yesterday forenoon in the act of trading coins of small denominations for larger coins at the stands in the fairgrounds. The Interurban office had been broken into earlier in the day and a cash box from one of the cars taken. The cash box contained the collections of the previous night, in nickels and dimes. The amount of money found on Cornelison was a little short of the amount registered in the cash box. Much of it was still in nickels and dimes, though some of it had been changed into dollars. The amount was twenty-even dollars and odd change. Courier.

Arkansas City Daily Traveler, Saturday, August 6, 1921.


Robbery of Interurban Office Taken Under Advisement.

Whether to release or bind over to the district court is the question Justice O. A. Hott is considering after the preliminary hearing of Herbert Cornelison, of Arkansas City, charged with breaking into and robbing the interurban office one night last week. The question was taken under advisement until tomorrow. Cornelison was arrested when he attempted at the carnival to get larger coins and bills for a lot of small change. This was a few hours after the office was robbed of a cash box containing the nickels and dimes collected by one of the street cars during the preceding day. Brothers of Cornelison testified that Herbert had been shooting craps and playing crackaloo with other fellow and had been lucky. This was to account for having so much small change.—Courier.


Arkansas City Daily Traveler, Tuesday, August 23, 1921.


Two Prisoners Caught After Effort to Saw Bars.

Winfield, Kans., Aug. 23.—Charles Wilson, and Herbert Cornelison, prisoners, attempted to saw their way to freedom early this morning. Their efforts, however, were to no avail.

Sheriff Goldsmith awoke at 3 o’clock this morning and heard the grating of what he thought to be a small hack saw. He arose from bed to investigate. Going out into the yard, the sheriff saw the dark forms of two of his prisoners working intently at a second-story window on the west side of the jail house.

The sheriff was armed. He shot twice into the window above the prisoner’s heads. The sawing stopped.

This morning after a thorough search, the prisoners were placed in the "cage" or "crazy cell" on the first floor.

Sheriff Goldsmith said that for several days he had the two under close observation.

Two ten-inch hacksaws were taken from the seam of the prisoners’ pants.

The sheriff was busy today welding up the sawed bars on the second floor window.


Arkansas City Daily Traveler, Monday, October 17, 1921.


A Hung Jury, One Conviction, and Sonny Jones Now On Trial.

District court at Winfield was still grinding away today on the large criminal docket and the case on trial this morning was that of the state versus Sonny Jones, a negro of this city, on the charge of assault committed some time ago. Testimony in this case was being taken as late as noon and it was expected that it would be completed and go to the jury late in the day.

The cases on trial Saturday were state versus Herbert Cornelison, the charge of robbing the Interurban office in Winfield of some small change some time ago, and state versus Wilson and Harvey, on the charge of attempting to steal an auto off the main street in Winfield several months ago. Sunday morning the jury was discharged, having failed to agree, and it is reported here that the twelve men stood 6 to 6. The case probably will be tried again at the next term of court.

Cornelison is a Geuda Springs lad and he was arrested at Winfield shortly after the alleged robbery, for the reason that he had a lot of small change on his person at the time. His contention was that he won the "chicken feed" in a crap game at Grenola, Kansas. He did not take the witness stand. The evidence showed that he was seen near the interurban station on the morning of the robbery, according to a report in the Winfield Free Press. The evidence was circumstantial and therefore the jury failed to agree on a verdict.




Fund Provided at A. C. Cafe for Meals Tomorrow.

The Traveler has been informed by the management of the Interurban cafe, located on West Fifth Avenue, that there has been a fund provided and left there, to be used on New Years day, to furnish dinner for any of the people in the city at noon that day who are really in need and have no other means of securing a New Years dinner. Any such person is asked to call at the cafe and they will be provided with a good dinner, to be paid for out of the fund left for this purpose. Those who call for this purpose need not fear that they will in any way be embarrassed.




Visited His Children and Re-Paid the Sheriff.

G. J. Moreland, who was released from the county jail several days ago after he had received "a message from God telling him to chop wood and not bother folks," was in Winfield yesterday. While here he paid a visit to his two sons who are in the orphans' home here and also repaid Sheriff Goldsmith forty cents loaned him when he left.

When Moreland was released the sheriff loaned him forty cents for interurban fare to Arkansas City. When Moreland came back yesterday to visit the children, he paid a visit to the jail and repaid the officer.

Moreland was taken in custody after he had made a house-to-house canvass at Arkansas City hunting for a wife. He said God had told him to get a wife and this was the only method he knew.

Free Press.



RECAP: Wind storms swept into several towns of Oklahoma and Kansas yesterday afternoon, leaving four dead and thousands of dollars in damaged property in their wake. At Muskogge two enginemen were killed by the locomotive being blown off the track. At Westfall two children are reported killed by the wind. Cars were blown off the rails at Guthrie where the wind reached high velocity. A tornado swooped upon Watonga, causing $50,000 property damage.

The heaviest damage of the storms was done to trees and crops. At Winfield scores of trees were blown down and several buildings unroofed. At Oxford a few small buildings were demolished and trees torn from their roots. None was hurt at either of these places. Fruit and crops were damaged by hail at Oxford. Trees were blown down between Udall and Belle Plaine. Five inches of rain fell at Coffeyville and four inches at Wellington. Wire service was demoralized between Arkansas City and Wichita and the street car lines and Interurban system in Arkansas City and Winfield were put out of commission. Lights in both cities went out. Little damage was done in Arkansas City or the surrounding country.



Topeka, July 6. The Arkansas City-Winfield railway company capitalized at $300,000 today was granted a charter to operate an electric interurban line between Arkansas City and Winfield, a distance of about 15 miles.

It is planned ultimately to extend the line over several short roads in Cowley, Sumner, and Sedgwick counties and form connections for service from Salina to Oklahoma City. The company also will operate the car system in Arkansas City and Winfield. Although a separate corporation, the new company is owned largely by the same persons who control the Arkansas Valley Interurban company, according to R. B. Campbell of the Valley company. He said the immediate plans are to spend about $150,000 to rebuild and reequip the Arkansas City and Winfield properties.


(Special to The Traveler)

Wichita, July 6.George N. Theis, president of the Arkansas Valley Interurban system, said today he would go to Arkansas City and Winfield tomorrow with the view of completing his plans with the city officials of both towns with reference to new franchises, or amended franchises, before he closes the deal for the Interurban line between the two points and for the two local systems.

"I am going over a few minor details with the officials at Arkansas City and Winfield on franchises, but expect to have no difficulty in arriving at a satisfactory conclusion on both sides," he said. "I have already completed my plans for taking over the lines and they will be called the Arkansas City-Winfield Motors' company. We secured a charter today to be ready for immediate operation of the system under the new name as soon as the purchase is completed.

"Ultimately it is our plan to extend the interurban south from Arkansas City to the Osage country and perhaps to Oklahoma City. Both Oklahoma City and Ponca City representatives have met with me on the proposed extension of the service to those points. We are also arranging for interurban service to Wichita and Hutchinson from Arkansas City by using the Midland Valley and Missouri Pacific tracks with the operation of a light car....."





Train service on all of the lines in and out of this city, which has been hampered considerably on account of the recent high waters in all of the streams in this locality, is still in a bad way although things were looking much brighter in this line today. Both the Arkansas and Walnut rivers are falling quite rapidly at present and by tomorrow it is expected there will be passenger trains in operation on all of the lines, which have been tied up for several days on this account.

Santa Fe Late Today

This morning the passenger trains on the Santa Fe were late in reaching this point, the south bound being twenty minutes behind and the north bound being thirty minutes late. No reason was given for the late trains on the main line of this road. The lateness of No. 17 also delays No. 7, the Shawnee train, from getting out on schedule time. The latter is made up here.

Midland and Missouri Pacific

Work on the bad track of the Midland Valley and the Missouri Pacific, east of the city, is progressing nicely at present and a large gang of section men on the job there, has the damage about repaired so that trains may be in operation Sunday. It is expected that the Midland Valley will at least restore train service from here to Wichita by tomorrow. The work train will be able to cross the bad track this evening and will be brought to this city.

Missouri Pacific Out

The Missouri Pacific does not expect to have regular trains in operation between this city and Dexter before next Tuesday, as there is a lot of track work to be done between Silverdale and Dexter before this can be accomplished. Regular passengers and extra freights were in operation between Conway Springs, on the D. M. & A. line today, however, it was reported from the local station. Passengers for the east out of this city have been compelled to go many miles out of their way for the past five days.

Frisco Is In Operation

The Frisco is now operating regular trains over Enid and Beaumont line, through this city. The west bound passenger this morning, however, was an hour and a half late, here, while the east bound came in on time, shortly after the noon hour.

Interurban In Operation

The interurban line between this city and Winfield was in operation again today, after a lay off of several days on account of a damaged bridge and track washed out at Hackney.

The K. S. Line Not Yet in Operation

The K. S. line, between this city and Anthony, is not yet in operation and its train did not get in today. This line operates out of the Frisco station in this city, but is under the supervi sion of the Frisco officials here.




Houston, Tex., July 15.A temporary injunction was signed by Federal Judge Hutcheson Saturday "straitly enjoining" the striking railway shop crafts and their members from intimidating workers and from interfering with the handling of the mails and interstate commerce; from congregating on the streets or in front of the homes of employees; from trespassing on railroad premises; and from conspiring to do any of these things. To "straitly enjoin" is to "narrowly restrict," it is explained.


Chicago, July 15.Virtually abandoning hope of an early settlement of the railroad strike, following the failure of last night's conference, railroad executives today prepared to make a determined effort to reopen shops with non-union employees, according to a high official of the United States Railroad labor board. This official, who declined to be quoted directly, said peace moves would be suspended for the present, as the carriers and strikers were unable to find any common ground for starting negotiations when Chairman Ben Hooper sought to get them together yesterday.

The stumbling block in the path of settlement, it was said at the railroad board, will be the union's demand for restoration of seniority and other privileges to the strikers.

The roads indicated to Chairman Hooper that the men who have stuck by their employers and the new employees enlisted will be protected in the seniority they have attained.

Scranton, Pa., July 15.One man was shot and slightly injured in connection with the shopmen's strike at Carbondale, 18 miles north of here early today. He is Joseph Walker, who was on his way home when he was fired upon, it is alleged, by strike breakers quartere in a foundry of the Delaware and Hudson railroad company.

Poplar Bluffs, Mo., July 15.Everything continued quiet in this city today. The 295 members of the 128th artillery, Missouri national guard, sent here to relieve 250 St. Louis infantrymen, continued to patrol the railroad property and the principal highways. Reports that several shots were fired at the infantrymen before their departure last night could not be verified.

Dallas, Texas, July 15.Several men were injured in disorders last midnight at Ennis, when strikers and sympathizers are said to have charged the Southern Pacific railroad shops there, according to W. D. Louthan, special agent for the company here. United States Marshal J. A. Baggett said his reports indicated the attacking party was dispersed in the darkness by guards. About 100 men attacked the shops, which were guarded by a dozen men, reports said.

St. Louis, July 15.The Missouri Kansas and Texas today informed Governor Hyde that protection at Hannibal, Mo., was lacking and that the road was
unable to operate its round house there because of inability to get men to work. While no formal request was made for troops, officials of the road said they notified the governor the situation "could be solved" if guardsmen were kept there.

Parsons, July 15.Idle Parsons shopmen took a holiday today and joined in the public demonstration for Brig. Gen. C. I. Martin and the national guardsmen doing guard duty here. Commander Martin announced the Parsons situation was "highly favorable" this morning and called a review of the 300 men stationed here at 2:30 p.m.

St. Louis, July 15.The M. K. & T. today signed a wage agreement with its 2,700 clerks and it is the second road with general offices here to settle with the clerks, the Wabash having signed an agreement several weeks ago. Details of the agreement were not made public, but it was said the average wage would be 55 cents an hour. The contract can be ended on 30 days notice, it was added.

Arkansas City Traveler, Tuesday, July 18, 1922. Front Page.

Reports from Hackney this afternoon were to the effect that there was a Mexican laborer drowned in the high water of the small creek at that place at 9 this morning. The Mexican went in bathing and cramps seized him, it was stated, and his companions rescued him from the water. He was taken to a shack, but all efforts to revive him were fruitless and he died soon after. The name of the Mexican was not learned here. The body was taken to an undertaking home in Winfield.

The creek at Hackney was about one inch higher today than it was during the flood of last week. The road between this city and Winfield was impassible for some time this morning on account of the high water near Hackney. There was a rainfall of 3.20 inches at Winfield and the Walnut rose again this morning several feet. More rain, which was accompanied by a strong wind and much electricity, visited this section of the state early this morning. Both the Arkansas and Walnut rivers rose again. The deluge of this morning at Hackney washed out the interurban bridge again and today there was no freight being handled between the two towns. Passengers are being carried to the bridge, however, from either side of the stream and being transferred there. This bridge was washed out at that location last week and was repaired only last Saturday.





Interurban Franchise Ordinances.

The two franchise ordinances of the Arkansas City-Winfield Northern Interurban Railway company were given their first reading at the session this morning. Ordinance No. 477 grants to the interurban company the right to operate a street railway system within the limits of Arkansas City for a period of twenty years. According to the provisions of the ordinance, street cars are to be operated a minimum of 15 hours per day. At least a thirty minute service shall be furnished. A 7-cent fare is provided, including transfer privileges.

Ordinance No. 478 grants to the interurban company the right to operate an interurban line in this city for a term of thirty-five years. Both these ordinances will come up for second reading at the regular weekly meeting of the commissioners next Monday.

Bids were opened for the building of a concrete dike or floodgates for the protection of the city wells against back water from the Arkansas river. H. A. Fowler bid $1,545, R. H. Robison $1,800, and Livingston $1,600. All the bids, being above the city engineer's



George D. Ormiston partook of a fine lunch at the Interurban cafeteria today and walked up to the hat rack, where he placed one hat on his head and carried off another one in his hand. Unmindful of the fact that he had the two hats, he strolled off down the street until W. C. Littleton of Pawhuska overtook him and asked for his hat.

Mr. Ormiston noticed that he carried a hat in his hand, which did not belong to him. "I beg your pardon," said he, "but where is my hat?" he exclaimed as he handed the hat in his hand to its owner. "Why it is on your head, sir," the visitor laughingly remarked. Mr. Ormiston was surprised when he reached for his hat and found that it sure enough was in its accustomed place for street wear. He chuckled over the joke on him and offered to buy the treats for the Pawhuska man.

to Subject Index Page
to bbott's home page