[It appears that Lena A. Bullene was located on Main Street opposite the post office.]
Set up separate file: J. G. Bullene (under leader).
Cowley County Censor, March 18, 1871.
Mrs. Bradish will open a hotel in her elegant two story building in a few days.
Winfield Messenger, October 11, 1872.
The Bradish House has changed hands. Mr. Peyton, the present proprietor, says that his list of boarders has increased from one to twenty-seven. We wish him success.
[FIRE: DESTRUCTION OF BRADISH HOUSE.]
Winfield Courier, April 1, 1875.
Last Sunday night, about 12 o'clock, the Bradish House, one of the largest hotels in this city, was discovered to be on fire. The proprietor, Mrs. C. M. Bradish, made the discovery just as the fiend was getting well under way and immediately gave the alarm. Soon the deep tones of the Courthouse bell conveyed the fearful tidings to the entire city. Men and women, standing not on the order of their going, but with a garment stuck on here and there, rushed to the scene. Every effort was put forth to subdue the flames, but without avail, and the bystanders turned their attention to the protection of the nearest buildings.
Fortunately the night was calm, with what little wind there was blowing from exactly the right quarter. It seemed, indeed, that this, our first misfortune, had been largely mixed with mercy. For it is conceded by all that had the wind blown from any other quarter, or had it been as strong as usual, at least half of the city would have been now in ashes.
Several incidents connected with the fire we think worth relating. Mr. S. H. Myton, who roomed there, on hearing the alarm, hastily dressed himself by sticking but one leg in his pantaloons, drew one suspender between his legs and the other over his shoulder. Thus arrayed he mounted gallantly on the roof, and, with water supplied him by Mr. B. F. Baldwin, succeeded for a time in keeping the fire at bay. But, alas, his victory was of short duration. Just as he had received a fresh bucket of water, he missed his footing and tumbled head over heals to the ground. Curiously enough Mr. Myton sustained but little injury from his perilous fall.
Another: the next morning Mr. Isaac L. Comfort, who boarded there but slept in another part of the town, started as usual for his breakfast, entirely ignorant of the destruction of the house, and did not discover it until he had reached the ashes. His feelings can be better imagined than described.
Several of the boarders sustained more or less loss by the burning of clothes, trunks, etc. Mrs. Bradish succeeded in saving considerable furniture. The house and furniture, we understand, is mostly covered by insurance.
Thus have we received our baptism of fire.
Mrs. Bullene: Rooms, Tenth Avenue, Opposite Bradish House...
Cowley County Censor, October 21, 1871.
MILLINERY. We call the attention of the ladies to the fact that Mrs. Bullene has just received from Boston a fine stock of millinery goods, etc. Rooms on Tenth Avenue opposite the Bradish House.
Paper spelled her name "Bullen." Have changed to "Bullene." MA
Winfield Messenger, June 28, 1872.
The frame of a building being erected by Mrs. Bullene for a millinery establishment was torn down last Monday night and part of it carried out into the street. The structure was put up again on Tuesday and parties interested hoped that a repetition of the previous night's work would be attempted, but the villains failed to make their appearance.
[COWLEY COUNTY FAIRLIST OF PREMIUMS AWARDED.]
Winfield Messenger, October 4, 1872.
Class ODomestic ManufacturesThirty-seven Entries.
Premiums awarded to Mrs. W. T. Tucker, Miss E. Tusker, Mrs. E. P. Hickok, Miss E. A. Graham, Mrs. J. H. Curfman, Mrs. W. H. H. Maris, Mrs. C. M. Wood, Mrs. W. J. Walton, Mrs. A. Bullene, Mrs. L. Lowry, Mrs. W. W. Andrews, Mrs. H. Y. Churchill.
Even in the next item (an ad) paper kept spelling her name as "Bullen."...
Winfield Messenger, October 4, 1872.
Just received from Boston a fine stock of millinery goods. Please call and examine.
N. B. Special attention paid to dressmaking.
MRS. J. G. BULLENE. Main Street, opposite the post office.
Mrs. E. F. Kennedy [Ladies' Bazar](?)...took Mrs. Bullene's old stand, four doors north of C. A. Bliss & Co.
Winfield Courier, September 9, 1875.
Please remember that Mrs. E. F. Kennedy, formerly the "Co." of the Ladies' Bazar, has opened out a handsome Parlor Millinery Store, four doors North of C. A. Bliss & Co.'s, where she is constantly receiving new varieties of ladies' fashionable goods, etc. Don't forget the placeMrs. Bullene's old stand, four doors north of C. A. Bliss & Co.'s.